Search This Blog

Monday, April 15, 2013

Ice Cream Oreo Cake and Attitude


13 years ago today my little Diva came into the world.  Since she was a 10 pounder it really wasn't the best day of my life, but I was grateful that she made it without any complications.  She was, and is, perfectly beautiful.  Although the attitude is getting old quit, but I keep reminding myself that it's just a stage.  It is just a stage, isn't it?  (Oh, please tell me it's just a stage, otherwise I might have to start with the beatings and that's just so unpopular with the community not my style.)

Anyway, a couple of years ago one of the littles requested an ice cream cake a la Dairy Queen for their birthday cake.  Well, always looking for ways to save a couple bucks I created my own recipe by combining a few tried and true family recipes.

Brownie Crust

4 sq. unsweetened chocolate (I used 3 T.  of unsweetened cocoa powder)
3/4 c. butter
2 c. sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1 c. flour

Microwave chocolate and margarine in a large bowl until melted.  Stir until mixed, then mix in remaining ingredients.  Spread into an 8 in. springform pan.  Bake at 350 for 35 minutes.  Do not over bake.  Let cool on a wire rack for 30 minutes then pop it into the freezer for at least 2 hours (you could leave it in there overnight if you wanted).

Cake Assembly

Brownie Crust
12-15 oreos
1/2 pint of ice cream (we used oreo flavor)

Once your brownie crust is frozen...  get a pint of ice cream out of the freezer to soften.  We used oreo ice cream, but we have gone with moose track and vanilla, both DELICIOUS.  To go along with the theme, we're going to smash up 12 or so oreos to put on top of the frozen brownie crust.

Once your ice cream has softened, spread a layer about 2 inches thick on top of your frozen brownie crust.  Make sure your crust is frozen HARD or it will crumble while your spreading your ice cream.   Once you have a nice thick layer of ice cream spread a few more smashed on oreos, just for good measure.

You are done... other than the most important part, eating it!  Try to remember to bring it out of the freezer 20 minutes or so before you are ready to serve, otherwise you'll break your knife trying to cut through it!  If you're like me and forget to get it out, get a hand towel and run some hot water on it, wring it out well and then wrap it around the outside of the pan.  This will make it easier to pop the outside of the pan off.  If you dip you knife in hot water it will help a little with the cutting, but I make no guarantees on that one!  (Patience, what patience?  No, I don't know what that word means.)

No comments:

Post a Comment